Friday, December 15, 2006

The Best of British

Yesterday, I vented my spleen over the government's antics.

Today, I would like to restore some balance to the emotional ledger by paying tribute to two individuals whose deeds may have escaped you. I don't propose to name them, just think of them as your faceless representatives in the military, the ones who do the dirty jobs, the ones who don't get to question and debate, the ones who die.

Today, I acknowledge my respect and gratitude to the two servicemen posthumously awarded the Victoria and George Crosses for their bravery under fire while fighting for our country. This is neither the time nor the place to challenge the legality or moral basis for our involvement in those conflicts - just to repeat the oft-used but still resonant phrase that greater love has no man than to lay down his life for another.

I hope your country is worthy of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home