Friday, October 20, 2006

"You talking to me?"

The Maritime Museum, Falmouth on 13 October. Venue for a gathering of like-minded souls to discuss writing for business.

Fair to say, it's not an issue that has taxed me overly in years past but I quickly realize that it should have done. Every emanation from your office says something about you. From the message jotted on to the yellow post-it note, to the email inadvertently sent to everyone in your address box, to the dreaded annual report. Every word bears your fingerprints, says something about what you are like
.
The first speaker, Neil Taylor, stresses two subjects which he considers to be key; clarity and consistency. In a series of slides he shows what works, and rather more amusingly, what does not.

By coincedence, that same evening, as I toil over another assignment, I receive an email from a friend who needs to remain nameless. He sends me a photo of a sign taken at his local hospital which, in eye-watering fashion, makes the very same point. The sign reads:

Family Planning Clinic
Use rear entrance


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home