Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Misery

I am a Stephen King fan.

I watched the film The Shawshank Redemption before I realized it was adapted from a King short story. That 100 pages of prose soar to heights any writer would love to reach. It contains a few passages that I find as lyrical, as perfect as any I have read.

So I sat down over Christmas to read his novel Misery with something of an air of keen anticipation. I haven't seen the film but I remember watching trailers, possibly at the time its actors were receiving the Hollywood treatment.

The premise is brilliant: a writer trapped in the wilds with "his number one fan" who also happens to be cockadoodie crazy. The story tells the tale of how he survives, resurrecting the character she loves and he loathes and whom he had killed off in his last novel. She encourages him along the way by lopping off various pieces of his anatomy when she feels he is in need of a degree of motivation.

And yet, though it may be treasonous to say it, I felt like there should have been something more. Where were the unexpected twists in the plot, the heart-stopping moments that have the reader desperate, yet dreading, to turn the page? Sure, there are moments when, figuratively, you want to look away but don't confuse moments of horror with the fiendish unfurling of plot.

I enjoyed the book - King could write out the telephone directory in a way that would entertain me - but I think he has done better.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim Kevan said...

Like the blog. As another lawyer and frustrated surfer, I have added a link on my own blog (http://timkevan.blogspot.com) :-) All v best, Tim Kevan

9:54 AM  
Blogger miss-cellany said...

You should be out here blogging more, even from over there where the waves are bigger - it's good fun.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Beach Bum said...

Andy - yeah, stick with the Blogging - consider it another skill set for the budding novelist.

Cheers,
Beach Bum

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home